Code of Standards
ALLi has a Code of Standards for both Partner and Author Members. and a Watchdog Desk.
We also run a Watchdog Desk, headed by John Doppler and Philip Lynch, which produces an annually updated guidebook to the best author services, ALLi best practices and the best self-publishing routes.
By displaying an ALLi membership badge on your website, you are reassuring readers and reviewers that they are in the hands of an independent author who values ethics and excellence.
If you are an author and this is important to you, you might also want to download our ethical author badge.
If you are a service provider who is aligned with these aims, we invite you to apply for Partner Membership.
Code of Standards
(Click As Appropriate for Writer or Partner Code]
- Collaboration: As an ALLi Author Member, I recognise that “self” publishing and “independent” authorship are relative terms and that almost nobody who publishes a good book works alone. I partner with other writers,editors, designers, publicists, distributors, booksellers and readers with courtesy, in a collaborative manner.
- Professionalism: I perform my responsibilities in the publication process in a professional and timely way, providing clear guidelines and thoughtful input to copyeditors, designers, booksellers and all partners, while respecting the expertise of others.
- Community: I am an active part of the Alliance (ALLi’s) community and the wider self-publishing, writing and reading community, freely oﬀring support and the beneﬁt of my experience.
- Engagement: I fully engage with the editorial process – including working with editors in framing and shaping my manuscript, appropriately revising and responding to professional copyediting.
- Editorial & Design: Out of respect to my readers, I aim for as high a quality a publication as possible.
- Scholarship: I am accurate, to the very best of my ability, in all facts and accounts in my publications. I follow publishing standards in crediting all sources of information, obtaining permission to use material for which permission is needed, and avoiding plagiarism or libel.
- Marketing: In reaching out to readers, I do not bombard, spam or force my writing upon others.
- Advocacy: I am an active advocate for the empowerment of writers through self-publishing. I am open and honest about my own experiences and work to beneﬁt and grow our community and extend the possibilities for all writers.
- Improvement: I seek out the training, education, support and coaching I need from books, courses, specialists, other authors and Alliance members and advisors.
- Ethics: I subscribe to the Ethical Author code.
If you would like to download our Ethical Author badge, you can do so here.
- Integrity: We recognise that Partner Membership of ALLi means our primary aim is to enable authors to effectively publish and sell books. We follow through on all promised services and fully honor all advertisements and publication agreement terms. We never spam, oversell, harass authors to buy our services or sell a dream to the uninitiated.
- Value: We add value to each publication commensurate with the fee charged, relieving authors of key publishing tasks, enhancing readability, design or discoverability.
- Clarity: We make it clear what we can and cannot do for the self-publishing writer and how our service compares to others.
- Pricing: Our price quotations are accurate, transparent and complete. Pricing is in line with market norms.
- Partnership: We involve authors in planning and decision-making for key aspects of the publication process, from titles and cover design to sales and marketing strategies.
- Service: We are accountable for our work. We keep authors informed each step of the way and provide good customer service and follow-up.
- Communication: We provide helpful and timely information to authors at all stages of publication, and beyond, and facilitate authors to get any ancillary information which we cannot provide.
- Community: We have a long-term commitment to author-publishing and support the empowerment of self-publishing authors.