Self-publishing 3.0 (#selfpub3.0) is both a concept and a campaign. The self-publishing 3.0 concept is that thanks to digital technology, any author who has acquired the necessary skills in writing, publishing, and business can now build a sustainable and scalable creative business over time.
The Self-publishing 3.0 campaign is run by the Alliance of Independent authors to foster true independence in author-publishing. The campaign is dual facing.
- It promotes author education around the realities of successful self-publishing and the development of three skill sets: writing, digital publishing and author business.
- It also promotes publishing-influencer education around the realities of what it is to be an author in today’s digital and entrepreneurial environment. To that end, ALLi approaches various government bodies, creative industry leaders and other influencers in the publishing and bookselling industries, aiming to create a more informed conversation about the indie author experience, and to facilitate skills training.
Self-Publishing 3.0: Author Independence
ALLi defines true author independence as owning a business that is earning sufficient money to support the author in their lifestyle and in their creative and commercial goals, without being dependent on any single outlet, be that a single trade publisher or single self-publishing service.
True author independence puts the author’s own website and book sales at the hub of their author platform and has the creation of a safe, sustainable, scalable digital business as its aim.
True author independence arises from building a reader-centered publishing business that does not depend on any one outlet, be that a single trade publisher to whom an author assigns all rights, or a single self-publishing service to whom an author assigns exclusivity on all books.
Authors who work in this way sometimes choose to call themselves authorpreneurs to distinguish themselves from those authors who work exclusively with one publishing or self-publishing outlet.
Self-Publishing 3.0: The History
Self-Publishing 1.0 began in the 1990s with desktop publishing and print-on-demand technology.
Self-Publishing 2.0 kicked off with the Kindle in 2008, and quickly saw the rise of e-books, e-readers and online bookstores.
Now, thanks to new technology, author-publishers are no longer freelancers or content providers, but independent publishing businesses, owning and trading in intellectual property.
Authors understanding and acting on this distinction has the potential to truly revolutionize the books trade and make publishing an author-led industry.
Self-publishing 3.0 is moving from Big Tech dominated self-publishing to a more distributed model, of authors building their own reading communities, and choosing from the many tech tools available to them to build and grow a creative business that suits their passion, mission and goals as an author, and their desired lifestyle.
“Self-directed writers are enjoying a wonderful confluence of conditions today,” says ALLi founder and director Orna Ross in a press release about the white paper. “As well as digital publishing technology and tools, the emergence of global reader markets on mobile phones and other e-readers, we have consumer trends like the rise of personal branding, mindful consumption and indie maker movements. All this is creating more favorable conditions for author-publishing than we have ever seen before.
“But only authors who have developed an independent, creatively-empowered mindset, who appreciate the value of their intellectual property, and who have set themselves up in the right way can benefit from these opportunities.
“Readers have become accustomed to buying online and they love to buy directly from authors, in person or on their websites.”
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors towards an empowered and independent mindset.
- #selfpub3.0 encourages self-publishing authors towards the realization that they are in business, that they have been since the day they first set up to sell a book on an online platform and to learn from other authors how to write well, publish well and run a good author business.
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to own their own transactional e-commerce websites while also using online retailers, and other publishers and publishing services to distribute our books as widely as possible, in as many formats as possible.
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to ensure we have a diversity of income streams, which might include direct sales, subscription models, crowdsourced patronage, and income from other activities like online teaching and affiliate income. (See ten business models for indie authors here)
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to see trade publishing as an author service, one among many available to us. An independent author sits down to a publishing offer with an informed and empowered mindset, expecting a partnership of equals. And expecting that mutual respect to be reflected in the publishing contract.
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to beware of exclusivity and take control of their author businesses rather than putting all their intellectual property into any single business owned by another.
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to be aware of the value of their intellectual property and creative assets
- #selfpub3.0 encourages authors to relish the freedom and control, the collaboration and independence, inherent in being an indie author. To recognize the opportunities provided by today’s digital tech and tools. To welcome the challenges of developing the the art and craft of writing and the art, craft and trade of publishing. To take pride in being the creative and commercial director of their books and their business.
Availing of all the opportunities afforded by digital publishing–and recent innovations like the blockchain–has the potential to deliver true creative and commercial independence to authors. It could also revolutionize the books trade, making publishing an author-led industry. It would complete the self-publishing revolution started by Amazon back in 2008, returning publishing to authors.
Self-Publishing 3.0 Campaign
As part of ALLi’s Self-publishing 3.0 campaign, we have produced two badges for you to use.
- One is designed for you to use on your own website, to encourage readers to buy directly from you and support you in other ways.
- The second is for you to offer to readers, booksellers, and anyone who would like to demonstrate their support for indie authors.
Making these badges available is just one of many actions ALLi is taking as part of our Self-publishing 3.0 campaign, which we hope will raise awareness of the expanding opportunities for authors to earn a living from their writing and associated activities.
And help create a more informed conversation about the indie author experience among influencers in the publishing and bookselling industries.
Below you can get the code to embed these logos onto your sites.
LEARN MORE about Self-Publishing 3.0:
- Read ALLi’s Self-Publishing 3.0 White Paper
- Listen to these podcast episodes:
BADGE TO OFFER YOUR READERS: I Support Indie Authors – Small
– Use the following code to embed in your site:
<a href="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/self-publishing-3-0/"><img class="aligncenter wp-image-5811 size-full" src="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ALLi-Badge-3.0-Reader-Badge.jpg" alt="I Support Indie Authors" width="300" height="300" /></a>
BADGE TO OFFER YOUR READERS: I Support Indie Authors – Large
<a href="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/self-publishing-3-0/"><img class="aligncenter wp-image-5811 size-large" src="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/ALLi-Badge-3.0-Reader-Badge-1024x1024.jpg" alt="I Support Indie Authors" width="1024" height="1024" /></a>
BADGE FOR YOUR OWN WEBITE: Support an Indie Author – Small
– Use the following code to embed in your site:
<a href="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/self-publishing-3-0/"><img class="aligncenter wp-image-5813 size-medium" src="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Writer-ALLi-Badge-3.0-300x300.jpg" alt="Support an Indie Author" width="300" height="300" /></a>
BADGE FOR YOUR OWN WEBITE: Support an Indie Author – Large
<a href="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/self-publishing-3-0/"><img class="aligncenter wp-image-5813 size-medium" src="https://www.allianceindependentauthors.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Writer-ALLi-Badge-3.0-300x300.jpg" alt="Support an Indie Author" width="1024" height="1024" /></a>