Independent Authors & Poets Breaking Through at London Book Fair
Alliance of Independent Authors Celebrates its 7th Birthday at LBF
Director Orna Ross to Headline in Poets’ Corner
London, UK, March 3, 2019 — Independent authors and poets will make a big appearance at the 2019 London Book Fair (LBF), with members of ALLi, the Alliance of Independent Authors, flying in from all over the world to take part in one of the year’s largest global publishing events.
“LBF has always been the international book fair that is most supportive of independent authors,” says Orna Ross, author, poet, founder and Director of the Alliance of Independent Authors. “And this year, the program for both the beginner and experienced author-publisher has expanded.”
ALLi launched at the London Book Fair seven years ago and this year will have a stand in Writers’ Block (1F46), a member books showcase, three days of advice clinics, and seminars and events including a seventh birthday drinks party, sponsored by Amazon KDP.
Among the LBF sessions led by ALLi and for indie authors:
Learn how to successfully self-publish with ALLi’s power team: Amy Collins, sales and distribution expert and owner of New Shelves Books; bestselling author Adam Croft, and European Manager at Kobo Writing Life Camille Mofidi. The panel will give you a complete insight into the challenges and growing opportunities of self-publishing.
ALLi’s Orna Ross and Robin Cutler of IngramSpark, discuss how self-published authors can access the wider bookselling community and see their books in bookstores.
ALLi members are making a splash in this newly announced book awards program for self-published authors, run by BookBrunch in collaboration with LBF, as half of the shortlisted authors for The Selfies are ALLi members. The winner will be announced at LBF Author HQ and will receive £1,000 and a profile in BookBrunch.
Self-Publishing Poetry Q&A
As reported in The Bookseller, Orna Ross will be a headline author at the fair this year, launching Keepers, her latest poetry collection and taking questions about digital publishing for poets, the rise of the “poetpreneur” and the spoken word movement, and how independent authors can be part of this rising trend. Ross’s poetry reading is the first time a self-publishing author has headlined at LBF.
Online Free Self-Publishing Conference
For those indie authors who cannot physically attend LBF, ALLi brings the best of the fair to authors worldwide on the Saturday following, with its free online Self-Publishing Advice Conference (#selfpubcon). These free conferences, held each spring and fall in conjunction with a major book industry event, harness the global reach of the ALLi network and showcase the best self-publishing advice and education for authors.
Spring #selfpubcon2019 commences at 10 a.m. London time on Saturday March 16th and, as well as highlights from LBF, includes top-name self-publishing advisors covering a wide range of topics, from advanced Facebook advertising strategies for authors, to the variety of business models now available to indie authors, to case studies (including one case study from Bryan Cohen on how he took his backlist sales from 2k to 10k.)
“We would like to thank our speakers and sponsors whose generosity makes it possible to bring independent authors to the book fair, no matter their time zone or where they are in the world,” said Ross.
The Alliance of Independent Authors is the only global, non-profit association for self-publishing writers. ALLi aims to foster excellence and ethics in self-publishing; to support authors in the making and selling of their books; and to advocate for author independence through the building of sustainable digital businesses.
- Orna Ross, award-winning indie author and poet, creative business facilitator, Director of the Alliance of Independent Authors and “one of the 100 most influential people in publishing” (The Bookseller)
- Adam Croft, one of the most successful independent authors in the world today, with 1.5 million books sold to date.
- Amy Collins, President of New Shelves Books, one of the best-known book sales and marketing agencies in the US, a bestselling author and a trusted expert, speaker, and sales consultant in independent publishing
- 21 Reasons to Join ALLi
- Poetry sales increased 15 percent in Britain in 2017 over 2016, and in the US poetry sales increased 21 percent between 2015 and 2017.
- Ingram Spark reports poetry is currently their best-selling genre in POD (print on demand) books.
- One in four U.S. readers (the most developed digital market) now read ebooks. Self-publishing accounts for 24-34 percent of all book sales in each of the largest English-language markets.
- Self-publishing platforms take English-language ebooks into 190 countries (2018)
- Of the top-selling ebook authors in the US (also the most developed self-publishing market), 28 percent are independent authors.
- As of 2018, 8 percent of ALLi members have sold more than 50,000 books in the previous two years.
ALLi Press & Communications Manager