Winner and Runner-Up in The Selfie Awards Announced at London Book Fair
London, UK, March 13, 2019 — Jane Davis, member of the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) and author of Smash all the Windows, was announced at London Book Fair (LBF) late Tuesday as the winner of the top prize in a new award to recognize the best work of fiction self-published in the UK in 2018.
“We congratulate Jane Davis for this well-deserved recognition of much more than having written and published an excellent book,” says Orna Ross, founder and director of ALLi. “It’s also an acknowledgement that indie authors are producing work of unquestionable merit and must master the double challenge of writing a great book and also publishing it.”
Jane Davis, for Smash all the Windows
Smash all the Windows, winner of The Selfies 2019, was also a finalist in the 2018 IAN Book of the Year Awards and is the eighth novel by Jane Davis. With her first novel, Davis the Daily Mail First Novel Award, and with her seventh she won Writing Magazine’s Self-Published Book of the Year in 2016.
“As any self-publisher knows, publishing is all about teamwork,” says Jane Davis in her own blog about being shortlisted. “Over thirty-five people contributed to Smash all the Windows.”
Ross also extends congratulations to the runner-up in the award, Jane Steen, for her novel Lady Helena Investigates. Steen is also a member of ALLi. “ALLi members have really made a splash in this new book awards program for self-published authors,” says Ross. “Half of the shortlisted authors for The Selfies are ALLi members.”
The award is run by BookBrunch in association with London Book Fair and sponsored by IngramSpark. The Bottom of Form2019 Selfie Awards are limited to English-language adult fiction titles published by UK-based self-published authors, ALLi encourages organizers to expand genres and geographic eligibility for 2020.
The Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) is the only global, non-profit association for self-publishing writers. ALLi aims to foster excellence and ethics in self-publishing; to support authors in the making and selling of their books; and to advocate for author independence through publishing skills, creative entrepreneurship and digital business development.
- One in four U.S. readers (the most developed digital market) now read e-books. Self-publishing accounts for 24-34 percent of all ebook sales in each of the largest English-language markets.
- Self-publishing platforms take English-language ebooks into 190 countries (2018)
- Of the top-selling ebook authors in the US (the most developed self-publishing market), 28 percent are indie.
- As of 2018, 8 percent of ALLi members have sold more than 50,000 books in the past two years.
- ALLi member Hannah Lynn wins Kindle Storyteller Award 2018
- See the full list of independent authors shortlisted for The Selfies
- Don’t miss ALLi’s FREE online #selfpubcon, March 16-17, bringing the best of LBF to indie authors everywhere. See our list of speakers here, and click here to register.
— 30 —
ALLi Media Relations