There are many paths available to an author who wishes to self-publish: you can self-publish yourself, hiring only the freelance assistance you need; you can self-publish by hiring a full-package service; or you can work with a hybrid publisher (one who works partly like a traditional publisher and partly like a service).
It’s important to choose a platform or service provider that’s competent, trustworthy and suits the project in hand. In an unregulated market, this isn’t always easy. You’ll find that some self-publishing services are run by people who are knowledgeable, dedicated, helpful and fair; while others are out to exploit authors and make as much money as they can.
ALLi’s Watchdog Desk monitors the self-publishing industry in a variety of ways as part of our ongoing Ethical Self-Publishing Campaign.
- Partner Membership: This is our highest rating for services (see below), awarded to approved self-publishing services. These partners can be accessed through our Partner Search facility.
- Code of Standards: Our Ethical Self-Publishing Campaign has a code of standards for ethical authors and ethical services. The partner code is overseen by the Watchdog Desk.
- Directory of Services: A Partner Member Directory of approved services, which is widely distributed and can be accessed and downloaded by ALLi members here.
- Guidebook: Choosing The Best Self-Publishing Services, our comprehensive guide to the industry. See the Guidebooks page.
- Services Ratings: As an outreach service to the community, we rate good and bad services on the Services Ratings page in our Self-Publishing Advice Center.
- Awards and Contests Ratings: A similar outreach service: our ratings of writing and publishing awards and prizes.
- Watchdog Reports issue regularly in the Self-Publishing Advice Center. Read the latest here.
PLEASE NOTE: The ALLi ratings are the opinion of the Watchdog Desk. Ratings are based on careful appraisals of multiple criteria, including pricing and value, quality of service, contract terms and rights, transparency, accountability, and customer satisfaction.
Contact the Watchdog Desk at any time if you would like to inform us about a service, or discuss a rating.